Under Construction

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Girl with the Mermaid Hair by Delia Ephron

The Girl with the Mermaid Hair by Delia Ephron 4 of 5 stars.

Click. Sukie Jamieson takes a selfie after her tennis lesson. Click. She takes one before she has to give a presentation in class. Click. She takes one to be sure there's nothing in her teeth after eating pizza at Clementi's. And if she can't take a selfie, she checks her reflections in windows, spoons, car chrome--anything available, really. So when her mother gives her an exquisite full-length mirror that once belonged to her grandmother, Sukie is thrilled. So thrilled that she doesn't listen to her mother's warning: "This mirror will be your best friend and worst enemy." Because mirrors, as Sukie discovers, show not only the faraway truth but the truth up close. And finding out that close-up truth changes people. Often forever.

The Girl with the Mermaid Hair wasn't what I expected. The beginning felt very unrealistic and unfeeling. I couldn't stand the first half to be honest. The only reason I kept reading is while I wasn't crazy about the characters or even the story Delia Ephron is a good writer. The second half was almost like a different book. I really enjoyed it. While this isn't something I typically read I'm sure someone who likes say Chick-Lit would enjoy it. Over all I would give it a three but because of the ending and Ephron's prose, I'll give it a four.

1 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

Interesting review. That's a little weird that it seemed to change in the second half...but 4 stars is still a great rating.

:D

 
09 10