Under Construction

Thursday, April 29, 2010

House of Dance by Beth Kephart


House of Dance by Beth Kephart 4 of 5 stars.

Rosie and her mother coexist in the same house as near strangers. Since Rosie's father abandoned them years ago, her mother has accomplished her own disappearing act, spending more time with her boss that with Rosie. Now faced with losing her grandfather too, Rosie begins to visit him every day, traveling across town to his house where she helps him place the things that matter most to him "In Trust." As Rosie learns her grandfather's story, she discovers the role music and motion have played in it. But like colors, memories fade. When Rosie stumbles on the House of Dance, she finds a way at last to restore the source of her grandfather's greatest joy. (book blurb)

House of Dance is a quiet, whisper of a story best read in the silent evening hours or under a blue sky with the wind creating a lulling backgrund. Its a story of love and life told from the far recesses of the mind with careful attention to detail, specifically of color

I enjoyed House of Dance as a rather relaxed read. Beth Kephart's writing style is very soft spoken. It deals with a lot of flashbacks and memories, the dialogue is fairly slim. Her details are always exquisite but I can't help lament the lack of action. The emotions are strong but they are portrayed by a character I feel I barely know. The story spends so much time on the people around her, Rosie turns into a bit of a blur. I kept hoping the story would build up to something more, but sadly, I never felt it get to that point. The characters, Rosie and her friend Nick in particular reminded me of the characters in one of Kephart's other books The Heart is not a Size to a point I could barely tell them apart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that from the point of view of someone who loves the fastpaced high stake novels, this just felt awkward. Others might really enjoy it, but its not something I have any inclination to read again.

For fans of: Beth Kephart

To order this book from Amazon.com please click here.

~
This blog is an Amazon Associates Affiliate when you buy an item from Amazon.com after following one of our links to the site, we gain a small commission. However, this does NOT effect our opinion of the books. Thank you.
~

1 comments:

wdebo said...

This book does sound good! I rather like softer spoken books...think I'll give one a shot!

 
09 10