Under Construction

Monday, March 1, 2010

Women's History Month!


Today, March 1st, is the first day of National Women's History Month! =) I just thought I'd remind everyone. This is a great month to read about the great women in history. Here's some suggestion for YA readers:

Hall, Marjory, Quite Contrary: Dr. Mary Edwards Walker (New York: Funk & Wagnalls, 1970). Biography of a pioneer female physician, the first woman to serve as a U.S. Army surgeon (during the Civil War) and to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Snyder, Charles McCool, Dr. Mary Edwards Walker: The Little Little Lady in Pants (Salem, NH: Ayers Co. Pubs., Inc., 1974).

Hine, Darlene Clark, Black Women in America: An Historical Encyclopedia (Brooklyn, NY: Carlson Publishing Inc., 1993). Brief biographies of African-American women throughout the nation's history. This reference work includes useful bibliographies, a chronology/time line, and a index by accomplishments or job categories.

Hymowitz, Carol, and Michaele Weissman, A History of Women in America (New York: Bantam Books, 1984). From the "Founding Mothers" to "The New Feminism."

Luchetti, Cathy, and Carol Olwell, Women of the West (New York: Orion Books, 1982). Includes many photos and first-hand accounts of women and girls on the western frontier.

And here are some great quotes I found:

"I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too."
Elizabeth I, Speech at Tilbury1588, England

"History...tells me nothing that does not either vex or weary me. The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences in every page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all - it is very tiresome."
- Jane Austen (1775-1817), from her book: Northanger Abbey

"I fall, I stand still… I trudge on. I gain a little… I get more eager and climb higher and begin to see the widening horizon. Every struggle is a victory."
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Hellen Keller (1880-1968)

Happy Women's History Month!!
Arya

2 comments:

Unknown said...

such a good idea for YA readers

vonze said...

Love the Jane Austen quote! Thanks for sharing, I didn't know March was Women's History month, awesome!

 
09 10